Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Hearty Lentil Soup


Are you sitting down?  This is a recipe loved by the Mobleys that does not have even a trace of chocolate!  We eat a lot of soup year-round, even when the heat index is 110.  We counterbalance this by eating ice cream year-round, too, even when the temperature drops below freezing.

Three reasons I like to make soup:
  1. I can make it when it's convenient for me and reheat just before my husband gets home.  Yesterday, I made this soup at 7:00 am.  These days I take advantage of every opportunity whenever it happens to present itself.  When you have twins, you really learn to think outside the box!
  2. For some reason, my kids do not object to vegetables in soup as much as vegetables served other ways.
  3. Soups are healthy and economical because meat, if used at all, is more of a garnish than the main course.  Most of the soups that I make have beans or legumes at center stage.
  4. Soups freeze well.  I always make extra to put in the freezer.  Whenever I'm having a rough day, I rely on my freezer stash rather than take-out!

Hearty Lentil Soup

2 c lentils
1 c chopped green pepper
1 c chopped carrots
1 c chopped onion
1 c chopped celery
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1 t dried sage
1/2 t crushed red pepper
2 t minced garlic (or 4 garlic cloves)
10 c water
14 oz. smoked turkey sausage, sliced
28 oz. canned diced tomatoes
8-10 oz. frozen spinach
1 cup brown rice, cooked according to instructions

Bring lentils through water to boil.  Cover and simmer about 30 minutes.   Meanwhile, cook 1 cup brown rice according to instructions on package.  Add sausage, tomatoes, and spinach and heat through.  Stir in cooked rice.

We like to sprinkle Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning on top to jazz it up.  I am so thankful for my friend Katie who taught me that Tony's makes everything taste better!  ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment