Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Make Your Own Peanut Butter

What does lunch look like at your house?  Here, lunch and peanut butter sandwiches are synonymous. Instead of buying peanut butter at the store, we make our own from raw peanuts.  It's very, very simple!



  • Pour 16 oz. unsalted peanuts into food processor.  A friend of mine even uses her Vitamix, but I don't think most blenders are powerful enough for peanut butter.
  • Turn the machine on.  It will be very, very loud.
  • Let it go till desired creaminess/crunchiness has been achieved.  For really creamy peanut butter, you probably need to let it run at least 5-10 minutes.  (I like to let mine go until is sounds right, till I hear it sloshing around a bit!)  
  • Store in refrigerator.
I find this to be an economical way to have natural peanut butter.  I watch for sales on peanuts at the grocery and drug stores.  The most I pay for a pound of peanuts is $1.99 versus grinding your own at Whole Foods for over $3 a pound.  I have even found them for $1.50 a pound--that was when I went to 3 different Walgreen's stores and bought as many as they would let me at each store.  I came home with 27 containers of peanuts! 

3 comments:

  1. So funny you posted this as I was going to email you about this today.My main question was what was your target price for the peanuts, but you already answered that. Do you use raw or roasted peanuts? How long does it keep in the fridge? I guess I'm wondering how much I can make at once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Pam! I use dry roasted unsalted peanuts. I actually don't know how long it will keep in the fridge. Good question. I make a pound at a time and it lasts us about a week, so it's fine for at least that long:) Does that help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that helps. I was thinking about making ours for awhile to see how it goes. As long as I can make enough for at least a week I think that will work well.

    ReplyDelete