Thursday, June 30, 2011

Homemade Yogurt




Homemade yogurt is my most recent wholesome and frugal cooking endeavor.  I got the idea from a tip I read on Money Saving Mom.  My husband is 6’2” tall and needs to eat lots!  He takes yogurt with him to work every single day.  Recently, he was at a conference in France (tough life, huh?) and loved the yogurt there because it was less sweet.  Greek yogurt that you buy at the store is less sweet than other yogurts, but, yikes, that stuff is pricey!  

After reading lots of reviews on Amazon, I decided to purchase the Euro  Cuisinpro – YM100.  I wanted a decent yogurt maker, but I didn’t want to spend a fortune, since I wasn't really sure how it would turn out.  I pretty much follow the recipe from the booklet that came with my yogurt maker and it's turned out great every time.  If you're looking for an adventure, try it out!


Heat 32 oz. of nonfat milk in the microwave for 2 minutes.

Add ½ cup of nonfat dry milk powder.

Add 6 oz. yogurt with live cultures (the first time, use a container of Greek yogurt; after that, just use one jar of the yogurt you made).

Stir with a whisk.

Pour into seven 6-oz. glass jars in yogurt maker (the jars come with the yogurt maker).

Place lid on top and heat for 12 hours.

Remove jars and screw lids on tight.  Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before eating.

Flavor as desired. 


ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. Wow... you're almost tempting me to buy a yogurt maker!!! ;-) We love Greek yogurt, but as you said, it is so expensive. Do you have to make the yogurt every day to keep up with the needs of your family? That would be my concern-- with 4 kids to feed and 2 hungry parents... could I keep up with the demand? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha, ha! Good point, Sarah. Right now, I make yogurt just once a week, but I think I'm going to buy extra jars and make it more frequently once Matthew and Jonathan are able to eat yogurt. I figure then I'll probably make two batches a week, one nonfat for the rest of us and one whole milk for them.

    ReplyDelete